This renowned textual content has been up-to-date to make sure that it maintains to supply a present and finished evaluate of the most Christian theologies of the 20 th and twenty-first centuries.
- Each bankruptcy is written through a number one theologian and provides a transparent photograph of a selected stream, subject or individual.
- New and up-to-date remedies of themes coated in past variants, with over part the chapters new to this version or revised by way of new authors.
- New part singling out six vintage theologians of the 20 th century.
- Expanded remedy of the ordinary sciences, gender, Roman Catholic theology seeing that Vatican II, and African, Asian and Evangelical theologies.
- Completely new chapters on spirituality, pastoral theology, philosophical theology, postcolonial biblical interpretation, Pentecostal theology, Islam and Christian theology, Buddhism and Christian theology, and theology and film.
- As in earlier versions, the textual content opens with a whole advent to trendy theology.
- Epilogue discussing the current state of affairs and customers of Christian theology within the twenty-first century.
Read or Download The Modern Theologians: An Introduction to Christian Theology Since 1918 PDF
Best Christianity books
During this selection of essays, the tale of the Crusades is advised as by no means ahead of in an engrossing and entire historical past that levels from the preaching of the 1st campaign in 1095 to the legacy of crusading beliefs and imagery that maintains at the present time. listed below are the tips of apologists, propagandists, and poets concerning the Crusades, in addition to the perceptions and explanations of the crusaders themselves and the ability in which they joined the stream.
Mary Peckham Magray argues that the Irish Catholic cultural revolution within the 19th century used to be effected not just by way of male elites, as prior scholarship has claimed, but in addition by way of the main neglected and underestimated girls in eire: the nuns. as soon as regarded as purely passive servants of the male clerical hierarchy, women's spiritual orders have been in truth on the very middle of the production of a religious Catholic tradition in eire.
During this ebook, Phillip Cary argues that Augustine invented the idea that of the self as a personal internal space-a house into which you may input and within which you'll discover God. even though it has frequently been recommended that Augustine ultimately inaugurated the Western culture of inwardness, this is often the 1st examine to pinpoint what was once new approximately Augustine's philosophy of inwardness and situate it inside a story of his highbrow improvement and his courting to the Platonist culture.
William Bentley, pastor in Salem, Massachusetts from 1783 to his demise in 1819, was once not like a person else in America's founding iteration, for he had come to detailed conclusions approximately how most sensible to take care of a conventional figuring out of Christianity in an international ever altering through the forces of the Enlightenment.
Additional info for The Modern Theologians: An Introduction to Christian Theology Since 1918