By Ian S. Markham
This better half brings jointly a staff of latest theologians and writers to supply monstrous introductions to the foremost those that formed the Christian tale and tradition.
- A huge reference paintings, bringing jointly over seventy five entries at the most crucial and influential theologians within the historical past of Christianity
- Structured accessibly round 5 sessions: early centuries, heart a while, reformation interval, the Enlightenment, and the twentieth-century to the present
- A to Z entries variety from titanic essays to shorter overviews, every one of which locates the theologian of their quick context, summarizes the subjects in their paintings, and explains their significance
- Covers a extensive span of theologians, from Augustine to Thomas Aquinas, via to C. S. Lewis, James Cone, and Rosemary Radford Reuther
- Provides profiles of key Catholic, protestant, evangelical, and revolutionary theologians
- Includes an invaluable timeline to orientate the reader, analyzing lists, and a thesaurus of key terms
Read Online or Download The Student's Companion to the Theologians PDF
Similar Christianity books
During this selection of essays, the tale of the Crusades is informed as by no means earlier than in an engrossing and finished background that levels from the preaching of the 1st campaign in 1095 to the legacy of crusading beliefs and imagery that keeps this day. listed below are the tips of apologists, propagandists, and poets in regards to the Crusades, in addition to the perceptions and factors of the crusaders themselves and the skill during which they joined the circulation.
Mary Peckham Magray argues that the Irish Catholic cultural revolution within the 19th century used to be effected not just by means of male elites, as earlier scholarship has claimed, but in addition by way of the main neglected and underestimated girls in eire: the nuns. as soon as considered in simple terms passive servants of the male clerical hierarchy, women's non secular orders have been in reality on the very heart of the production of a religious Catholic tradition in eire.
During this booklet, Phillip Cary argues that Augustine invented the idea that of the self as a personal internal space-a house into which it is easy to input and within which you will see that God. even though it has usually been urged that Augustine indirectly inaugurated the Western culture of inwardness, this can be the 1st learn to pinpoint what used to be new approximately Augustine's philosophy of inwardness and situate it inside a story of his highbrow improvement and his courting to the Platonist culture.
William Bentley, pastor in Salem, Massachusetts from 1783 to his demise in 1819, was once not like somebody else in America's founding new release, for he had come to particular conclusions approximately how most sensible to keep up a conventional figuring out of Christianity in an international ever altering by way of the forces of the Enlightenment.
Additional info for The Student's Companion to the Theologians