By Fergus Kerr
This ebook stories at the lives and works of the main influential Catholic theologians of the 20 th century.
- A new booklet from one of many optimal Roman Catholic theologians at present writing in English
- Reports at the lives and works of the main influential Catholic theologians of the 20th century
- Covers theologians together with: Chenu, the guru of the French employee priest move; Congar who was once imprisoned in Colditz; and Küng who was once banned from instructing for many years due to his radical views
- Highlights the involvement of every theologian with the second one Vatican Council, and the dissatisfaction of so much with what was once achieved
- Includes a bankruptcy at the arguable prelate, Pope John Paul II
Read or Download Twentieth-Century Catholic Theologians PDF
Best Christianity books
During this number of essays, the tale of the Crusades is informed as by no means earlier than in an engrossing and finished background that levels from the preaching of the 1st campaign in 1095 to the legacy of crusading beliefs and imagery that keeps at the present time. listed here are the information of apologists, propagandists, and poets in regards to the Crusades, in addition to the perceptions and factors of the crusaders themselves and the capacity in which they joined the circulation.
Mary Peckham Magray argues that the Irish Catholic cultural revolution within the 19th century used to be effected not just through male elites, as past scholarship has claimed, but in addition by way of the main neglected and underestimated ladies in eire: the nuns. as soon as regarded as simply passive servants of the male clerical hierarchy, women's spiritual orders have been in reality on the very heart of the construction of a religious Catholic tradition in eire.
During this e-book, Phillip Cary argues that Augustine invented the concept that of the self as a personal internal space-a house into which it is easy to input and during which you will find God. even though it has frequently been urged that Augustine indirectly inaugurated the Western culture of inwardness, this is often the 1st learn to pinpoint what was once new approximately Augustine's philosophy of inwardness and situate it inside a story of his highbrow improvement and his courting to the Platonist culture.
William Bentley, pastor in Salem, Massachusetts from 1783 to his dying in 1819, used to be not like somebody else in America's founding new release, for he had come to distinctive conclusions approximately how most sensible to keep up a standard realizing of Christianity in a global ever altering through the forces of the Enlightenment.
Additional resources for Twentieth-Century Catholic Theologians